Missing Girl

By Femi Tunde Okunlola

Days after news of 82 of Nigeria’s abducted Chibok school girls broke the Nigerian Internet, a spokesman for Nigeria’s president has said, One of the Chibok girls kidnapped by Islamist militants Boko Haram chose to stay with her husband instead of being freed. She ought to have been one of the group of captives who were released on Saturday.

Garba Shehu; the President’s spokesperson  told a local news media house; Channels TV that she had said  ‘No, I’m happy where I am. I have found a husband.’

There have been concerns over how the girls would be accepted back into their communities, with emerging information that some of the girls had been married off, and probably with children.

Some leaders of Chibok community, under the aegis of Kibaku Area Development Association, have faulted the report that some of the abducted schoolgirls refused to be part of the group of eighty-two girls freed from Boko Haram enclave saying the community would never accept such a claim because the government could use it as an excuse to give up on the rescue of the other girls.

The recent news of the 82 abducted girls who were released after a negotiation deal handled by the ICRC, leaves the number of girls still captured by the Boko Haram sect at just over a 100, which is asides from thousand other victims who have been captured during the insurgency situation in the North-eastern region.

Efforts to reconcile and reunite the girls with their parents are still ongoing according to Mr Shehu

 

 

Leave a Reply